Saturday, March 7, 2009

Life's Theatre


Years back on an ordinary day
God concieved an idea from some clay

He moulded another human form
Not much hard work, just the usual norm

Then he devised another fable of strife
And gave me a role in the drama called 'Life'

He decided himself to be the director
And found assistants to play the various characters

So, here I am working in stereotypical divides
Sometimes playing the lead, sometimes just watching from aside

At times I don't want to be on stage anymore
Open my eyes to find it all cast on a distant shore

Existing as daughter, sister and wife
But not living the miracle of life


With consciousness came civilization's rules
Culture, language, morals and other societal tools

I too became part of the system
Sometimes my own and sometimes other's terms

People have so much venom in their heart
Only need a spark to start

Searching hidden motives in every word and action
Full of rhetoric questions

They want to put two and two together
But wonder how the answer can be four


In this play I often get the advise
From those who call themselves older but often the wise

How to dress, express or speak my lines
Why the stars in the sky shine?

Even I became a comrade, a friend
Defining, condemning and taking stand

Limitin or glorifying as much as I can
What an experience to be human!






























2 comments:

  1. These days when poets feel pride at breaking rhyme and rhythm and rendering jumbling of words into poems,your poem -imbued with the beauty of rhyme which,of course, entails much effort-creates a different feeling.Whatever Eliot and his successors harboured regarding the foregoing example,I have always liked poetry replete with music.
    All of us bear the brunt of working in the rut of 'stereotypical divides' your narrator is forced to cope with.
    The mustiness of several taboos imposed on us either by god the director or his assistants end up in making us hypocrites. You may say Juliens
    your poem remindes me of Jacques of As You Like It.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm..i find it explicit with the inherent conflict between Predestination and Free Will..whether we really have a Choice or not? Does Man have any agency over his own life? Pertinent questions! Without satisfying answers...

    I love how you've begun the poem..way to go..!

    And I see why it reminds Lalit of Jacques..Full of existential rhetoric ...to the extent of being cynical and deeply oblique!(One of Shaky's best characters!):)

    ReplyDelete