Tuesday, February 10, 2009

beginnings...

To speak is to commit a mistake.

-Samuel Beckett

I would like to begin with a cliche. Its men who commit mistakes, not Gods. To prove that I'm a man I'll have to err, and to err I'll have to speak. I enjoy giving expression to my pent-up feelings either by spilling ink on paper or by disturbing the peace of the classroom and the outside world, among friends. But these days after joining MA Im undergoing a huge change in order to fashion myself perfectly. Call it my vanity or whatever. These days Im learning not how to speak, but how not to; not how to smile, how not to. These are the gifts which this metropolis and this university has given me.

No matter, life is life. I have written in my profile that I want to know more people. But I am really afraid, lest people should take me as an intruding, silly fellow. I have resolved many times to be as reticent as Aruni is (he told me about the Beckett line). But as soon as I see persons are contending with their opinions I jump into the fray. Sorry, cant help, this is what I am. I feel the same as the first person who has written here. We have all confined ourselves to tortoise shells, and its really hard to break it. Or to break the ice, for that matter.

Sorry friends, will talk later. The fleeting time reminds me of the looming danger of the internals.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think anyone sees you as intruding or silly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But then, as Beckett himself conceded "Words are all we have". We live our lives in the language..appropriate it to create and appreciate 'art'..and stay within its folds.. warm and cozy..for the rest of our lives.
    "My mistakes are my lives"

    Beckett, amazing fellow that he was, exposed to us the vicious circle of contradictions that our lives are. Hence, talk abt estrangement, alienation anad the rest of it, the truth remains that we all are existentially doomed..and hence united in this victimhood.
    So cheers!

    ReplyDelete